It has been a little over one year since I stopped using shampoo and there have been some ups and downs, but overall I love my hair more than ever now.
- My hair has grown A LOT and more than it usually does
- I spend less than $10 on hair care this entire year
- It is a conversation starter - not that anyone can tell; it usually comes up when a friend mentions it or someone asks what products I use on my hair
- I feel good about the fact that I am not pouring more chemicals into my body
- My hair has acclimated to the environment around me and I don’t have to worry about having a “bad hair day” based on environmental conditions - unlike my sister I don’t have to worry about having frizzy hair on rainy days
- I have found 1 million+ uses for baking soda and apple cider vinegar (I no longer buy face toner or sink scrub, just two examples)
- I don’t have to wash my hair everyday and it still looks and feels clean
- My hair doesn’t smell as great as it did when I used shampoo - although it could if I weren’t so cheap and actually bought some essential oils
- When my hair gets really nasty I can’t just wash it out in one day. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 washes to really get all the nasty junk out
As you can see, the pros have really outweighed the cons for me. And to think I almost gave up this winter. I am really glad I stuck through it and made an entire lifestyle change. It doesn’t work for everyone but it has totally worked for me.
Thank you for the support this past year and for following my journey. It means so much to me that all of you want to listen to a teenage girl talk about her hair.
And to everyone who wants to give up, keep going. Give it more time. There will be times when your hair goes crazy, but there will also be times when your hair is more healthy and beautiful than it has even been before. And those great hair days outweigh the bad hair days a dozen fold.